Sincere apologies for any cross-postings!!!

Best wishes,

David Sidman
_______________

Hi all,

It is with a mixture of anticipation and sadness that I am announcing my
resignation from John Wiley & Sons in order to form my own start-up.  Wiley has
been my home for 4 1/2 years, and has given me a wonderful work experience with
lots of successes, including supporting me in my industry-level activities
surrounding the Digital Object Identifier (DOI), which is in fact the focus of
my new venture.  I wanted to pass along my new contact info to all of you, and
to say a little more about my plans:

As most of you know I've been very involved in the Digital Object Identifier
(DOI) initiative, starting well before its launch 4 years ago.  To date most of
the real-world adoption of DOI has occurred in the STM Journals sector, since
this was the first of Wiley's markets to go online.  But other markets are now
beginning to migrate online as well, and between this trend and other recent
developments such as the advent of E-Books in traditional publishing and the
copyright-protection crisis in music publishing (Napster et al.), I've come to
believe with even greater conviction that broader implementation of the DOI
would be the single most important step that publishers could take to retain or
enhance their position in the value chain of publishing.

To that end, I'm intending to start a consulting company which will be 100%
focused on promoting the adoption and implementation of DOI across all sectors
of publishing, besides the STM Journals sector which has already committed to
DOI and is already successfully charting its own course via the CrossRef
initiative (which now has 38 publishers participating).  In addition to text
publishing (Professional, Trade, Educational, etc.), I intend to help implement
DOI among all other sectors involved with online intellectual property:  music,
video, photography, etc.  I plan to begin by making the business case for DOI at
the executive level in a more formal way than has been done previously, and to
move from gaining this high-level buy-in to assisting with actual DOI
implementation, at whatever level the customer requires.  This could involve,
for example, serving as general contractor for the planning and execution of DOI
implementation within a publishing company or a particular product line -
everything from identifying which content is most likely to give the earliest
payback, to assessing what infrastructure development is needed to support DOI
tagging on a production basis (e.g. integration with Content Management Systems,
Web Publishing Systems, Digital Archives, etc.).  It could also involve
subcontracting or partnering with other implementation/systems-integration
firms, Digital Rights Management (DRM) vendors, and other parties as needed to
solve specific problems at the production level, system level, or commercial
product level.  Finally, it could involve partnering with other consulting
firms, since the goal here is to help publishers create a new market, and not
only will this require many hands at the plough, but all players stand to gain
more from cooperating to make a bigger pie than from competing to maximize their
own slice.

In many respects, I will simply be continuing the kind of work I've been doing
in this area for 4 years, but on a full-time basis rather than a purely
"volunteer" or "best-efforts" basis, and with more dedicated resources.  The new
company will be called Content Directions, Inc., and I can be reached as
indicated below.

Perhaps needless to say, I will be following up more specifically with many of
you whom I've been working with very recently, whether it's because we should be
talking in regard to my new plans, or simply to help make sure that you are
transitioned smoothly to others at Wiley whom you will be dealing with in my
place.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me and worked with me to date; I look
forward to continuing our relationship.  Thanks especially to Wiley for being
such a terrific company and for being so supportive of my new plans.

David

David Sidman
CEO
Content Directions, Inc.
Phone:  (212)  792-1847 or (888) 792-1847
Fax:  (718) 768-6777
Email:  [log in to unmask]