Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
a much favoured quote from Bland and Altman (relating to statistical
analysis)
but equally applicable to much we do.....because we have not yet PROVEN
that things we do do work does not mean that they do not.  Equally they
have not been proven not to work.  This applies to all health care
practitioners, absolutely including the medical profession.
Yes, we need to publish more about outcomes (positive and negative) so
we know what to pursue and what to leave behind - indeed I'm sitting
here writing a research funding bid at the moment - but I wonder Stewart
who is it that thinks that what you do is not worthwhile?  If it's
yourself, then maybe you do need to think about a change - but if the
pressure to prove it is coming from elsewhere then maybe you could try
asking them how much of their practice is based on sound evidence.  In
the mean time if you think it's worth investing the time I'd suggest
that you should read some good literature so that you may again feel
that PT's are at least trying to get on the right track.....

In message <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] writes

--
Maggie Campbell

+44 (0)114 268 6963
Sheffield UK