> From:	kwildgen [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>
> Is it my imagination,or is there a very thin line between prophecy and
> fortune-telling? As I recall, the latter was ferociously forbidden by the
> Church, with certain exceptions made for OT types and Jesus himself.

	Fortune-telling--fore-seeing future events--was/is one part of
seership. Other parts concern obtaining "supernatural" knowledge of current
events--like cause of illness, whereabouts of missing people or objects,
etc. My understanding, at least for Ireland and the Highlands, is that
general condemnation of such practices was more widespread in the modern
period. In the late medieval period, for example, some methods employed by
seers were considered OK, while others were condemned because they were
perceived as invoking "demons."

	In the modern era of biblical exegesis, prophecy has been defined as
something separate and distinct from predicting future events, a speaking
out, a call to reform and return to the ways of God. While this was
certainly part of the prophet's function, I think to remove the predictive
element is a mdern attempt to rationalize away a mindset and attitude that
was characteristic of earlier times. The way I see it, even if documents
were composed after the events they purported to predict, the audience was
supposed to view them as predictions.

	Francine Nicholson