It is good to see some debate on this list, so I feel I should encourage it.
I think the arguments that are coming up on different reasons for interest
in inequalities brings us back to the old question on what we mean by
equality. So for debate I will put in a few suggestions.
As far as I can see equality in outcomes is clearly not possible and not
really desirable. Equality meaning people in the same position should be
treated in the same way is not desirable because of different preferences
and ignores the determinents of illhealth. Equality of resource allocation
means inequality in need satisfaction. Equality in need/want satisfaction is
an interesting concept but not one I feel anyone has entirely satisfactorily
explained, either by neo-classical economists in terms of empirical demand
or others in terms of lower and higher level needs. For me the interest lies
in highlighting the effects of the vast primarly economic inequalities that
exist on health, attempting to understand which policies might minimise the
impact and encourage their implementation, and on a more fundamental level
challenging the economic inequalities themselves. That is starting of from
the impact of the social and economic inequalities.

James Woodcock
Assistant editor Journal of Evidence Based Health-care