Date: Friday, July 07, 2000 10:38 PM
Subject: "Race"

Michael Jefferson asked

> would someone please define 'Race' and 'Racism'  in the
> context that it applies to RK for me ?

May I offer a partial answer from the genetics aspect?

'Race' as defined in a recent text is 'an intraspecific
category characterised by conspicuous physiological
('physiological race'), biological ('biological race') or
ecological ('ecological race')  properties."

'Intraspecific' means it is a sub-group of animals [or plants]
within a species.

Most importantly, 'race' is not a valid rank in the
zoological or botanical taxonomic codes. In other words,
'race' has always had  such a mixed meaning that it was
never used to name any category in official
classifications. This was true in RK's time.

The term 'race' therefore has no objective reality. Rather,
a 'race' is in the eye of the beholder. The old idea, as
far as I can understand it, is that in a particular, say,
geographical 'race' all have a set of characteristics which
differentiate them from the surrounding population. But
the 'human race' is continuously variable. There are no
groups of humans with specific characters sharply divided
from all others. (Just as Great Britain is all one - the
mountains merge into the plains.)

Speaking without evidence I am afraid, I have the impression that
'racism' is equated to saying  's/he is part of a group which is
different from me' [and inferior], and acting towards them
not as fellow human beings.

To claim someone or some group differs from oneself in that way
is mistaken.

To act towards someone in that manner seems to me to be
immoral.

I sense that these are the types of thought that lie behind
the general disapproval of 'racism'.

Does all this betray my Wesleyan background? Even if it
does, the two genetic matters of fact remain, viz:-
'Race' has no taxonomic standing, and
Homo sapiens is continuously variable.

Regards

John Cram