Here goes my first experience of asking for opinion over mailbase....

I am new to the world of qualitative research and I am trying to get some
information together about which software package might be most useful to
me in the future for analysis. At the moment I have had suggestions along
the lines of Atlas (most commonly used in our department) and NVivo (as
likely to be the package more people will be using in the future).

As I am at the very beginning of a project, and do not have much experience
of the field yet, I am very open-minded as to what I end up using. I am not
a complete beginner on computers (have used word processing packages and
quantitative packages) but I am not very good at tinkering with computer
packages if things start to go wrong!

My data will probably consist of open-ended interview questions and
to look especially at the language used when people speak on certain
subject areas and connections between themes that emerge.

Has anyone any advice on the relative merits of using NVivo over Atlas?

I would be really greatful for any advice on my address below.

Thanks

Anji Wilson
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
stop