From: Kyriakos M. Chourdakis [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 4:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Complex Matrix Decomopositions

Dear All,

I am working on Fourier transforms, and therefore I want to evaluate the exponential of a matrix, say
E=exp(A+iB). The matrices A and B do not commute, hence (I guess!) the exponential cannot be split into real and imaginary parts explicitly.
Equivalently, I could be looking for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix A+iB; the exponential is then calculated trivially.

I have tried the Taylor expansion exp(A+iB)=sum([A+iB]^n/n!,n=0..Inf), but the numerical errors become explosive very quickly.

Ox does not seem to accept a complex matrix as an input, in the eigen() function (It has to be mXm not 2mXm). Does anyone know any trick for solving this kind of eigenproblems? For instance, any relations between the eigenvalues and -vectors of the matrix A+iB with the eigenvalues and -vectors of its components A and B would be very helpful. Can this complex eigenproblem be represented into an eigenproblem where the matrices are real valued?

Thanks in advance,

Kyriakos

Kyriakos M. Chourdakis
Dept. of Economics,