In the south aisle of St Mary's Martham Norfolk is a 15thc(?) window with an angel labelled Cherubim with what are clearly "human" eyes distributed all over the wings and leg feathers.  A less well drawn unlabelled angel balancing on a wheel has what appear to be closed eyes distributed all over its tippet, but they may be representations of ermine as a very similar motif appears on the lining of the cloak of the superbly drawn St Michael in the same church.
John Hall
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>Kwildgen
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: 27 July 2000 00:18
Subject: Re: Saint Anne; angel's wings; peacock feathers

Are you sure they're peacock feathers and not just feathers with eyes? The seraphim, widely depicted in Romanesque art, usually have six wings per side (I think) and sometimes with eyes. I also think the source is the Apocalypse, or possibly _The Celestial Hierarchy_. However the peacock has a rich iconography of its own symbolizing the Resurrection, among other things. Perhaps some confusion with the phoenix...

KW