> On another topic - any ideas about the ubiquity of relics, and
> popularity, of
> Saint James?

There is a fascinating article about the Miracles of the Hand of St
James at Reading Abbey, by Brian Kemp.  I obtained an offprint (the
article appeared in some archaeological journal) from the municipal
museum in Reading, and had it for many years, until I lent it to
someone, or misfiled it - at any rate, I cannot find it now.

The high point of the Reading pilgrimage was to take the "Water of St
James" which was water into which the hand had been dipped.  This had
powerful emetic properties which often cured the dropsy and other
internal disorders.  The hair-underpants of St Thomas Becket, at
Canterbury, had similar properties, which I have often discussed on
this list, and I will not test the patience of our listowners by
discussing them further now.

Oriens.