John Wickstrom wrote:

> I've come across a usage I've never seen and could use some advice and
> interpretation from the learned list members. In a bull of 1097 Urban II
> proffered the following privilege to the abbots of St. Maur sur Loire in
> Anjou: "..apostolica auctoritate statuimus, ut in loco illo venerabili sepe
> superius nominato cardinale abbas perpetuis temporibus habeatur."
> The privilege was confirmed  by Pope Anacletus II in 1131.
> My reading suggests that by this time, late 11th century, that the title of
> cardinal was restricted to the cardinal bishops, priests and deacons who
> were so appointed as a sort of Roman senate, with a title conveying as well
> a titular church in Rome which functioned as their "status" in the Roman
> church.
> My impression was that earlier on, there were some non-Roman priests and
> bishops who held the title "cardinalis" out of some local distinction or
> other, but that this had ceased, at least as a papal policy by the mid-11th
> century. So what do we have here? If anyone knows about this issue, I'd like
> also to know what perquisites were commonly attached to such a title  as a
> non-Roman appointment.
> John Wickstrom
> Kalamazoo College
<John: You paraphrase some of Kuttner's conclusions ('Cardinalis...p.
198), but you might want to look again at Kuttner pp. 164-65,
particularly note 47 on p. 164, for a "little else," i.e. Kuttner's
translation of "cardinalis" as "own and proper" bishop or abbot (a
bishop or abbot "incardinated" into his diocese or monastery). Kuttner
does not cite the letter of Pope Urban II to Oderisius that prompted
your message to the list, but he does cite analogous situations
reflected in Pope Urban's correspondence, where the presence of an abbot
(bishop) cardinalis is related to the restoration of privileges to their
rightful beneficiaries after a period of alienation or dissipation.
	In the letter you cited, which I looked up in PL 151.489-92, Pope Urban
states that he granted the request of religious and laity, who
petitioned that "proprium illi loci abbatem sub ditionem Casinensis
ecclesiae auctoritate sedis apostolicae restitui," where
"proprium...abbatem" = abbas cardinalis, just as Kuttner said. A
perquisite (if we may call it such) of this title was that the monastery
of St. Maur would thenceforth be subject only to the motherhouse in
Monte Cassino (St. Maur was a Benedictine institution), not to local
potentates, lay or ecclesiastical.
Luciana Cuppo Csaki
Luciana Cuppo Csaki
Societas internationalis pro Vivario