[log in to unmask] wrote:

> In a message dated 06/28/2000 6:17:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> << * Peter (c. 64), apostle - Butler writes: "The passion of St Peter took
>  place in Rome during the reign of Nero (54-68), but no written account
>  of it, if there is such a thing, has survived. According to an old but
>  unverifiable tradition he was confined in the Mamertine prison, where
>  the church of San Pietro in Carcere now stands."
>
>  * Paul (c. 67), apostle - There is a tradition that he was beheaded on
>  the Ostian Way, at a place called Aquae Salviae, near where the basilica of
>  St Paul Outside the Walls stands today.
>   >>

> I asked this last year but never got a response: how far back can we trace
> the above legends of Peter and Paul?  If I remember correctly, the earliest
> mention of their passing, and it is very vague, is that of Clement's letter
> to the Corinthians.
>
> mark
This may not be a response, either (knowledge is, alas, limited), only a
suggestion. If I were to pursue the matter, I would first re-read the
essay by Victor Saxer "Le culte des apotres Pierre et Paul dans les plus
vieux formulaires romains de la messe du 29 juin" in "Saecularia
damasiana" 199-240, published by PIAC, Rome 1969; then study carefully
one of the main sources for Saxer's work, the Sacramentarium veronense
published by L. C. Mohlberg in the series "Rerum ecclesiarum documenta -
Fontes" (Publisher: Herder, Rome 1958). Saxer gives as the first precise
information on the martyrdom of Peter and Paul is the depositio
martyrum  (day of the feast: 29.6) dated to 258 A.D. (consular year). A
study of the textual transmission of Sacramentarium (codex Bib. Cap.
Veronense 85) might yield some data - at least, that's the avenue I
would pursue. Luciana
Luciana Cuppo Csaki
Societas internationalis pro Vivario
e-mail:	[log in to unmask]