> From:	B.M.COOK [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>
> Brittany is Celtic and we are all familiar with the celtic mother-goddess
> who has a triad manifestation (the maiden, the matron and the crone), yes
> ?

	No. The pre-Christian Celts had triple goddesses but with the
possible exception of one or two partially disfigured statues, the triple
goddesses do not show maiden-mother-crone. That's essentially a New-Age idea
fostered by sources like Robert Graves' _The White Goddess_ and various
wiccan writings. Celtic statues and myths depict three aspects that are
functional aspects, *not* age-related (as in the three Brigits poet, healer,
and smith), or they show three mature women, or they show two mature women
and a very young woman (the last actually may not be three goddesses but
rather two goddesses and a devotee).

> Any comments on this from honoured fellow members ?
>
> Has anyone done a / know of a study of the rise of the cult of St Anne in
> Brittany ?

	Actually, I've just started looking at it in Ireland from the view
of St. Anne taking over earlier cults of Anu and Ai/ne. Ma/ire Mac Neill in
_Festival of Lughnasa_ suggested that there may be a link between the cult
of St. Anne and Lughnasa celebrations, but she didn't explore it much
herself.

	Francine Nicholson