  -----Original Message-----
  From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Ken Robey,
Ph.D.
  Sent: 03 July 2000 19:46
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Infantilization of persons with disabilities

  At our facility which serves persons with cerebral palsy, Lesch-Nyhan
disease, and other neurodevelopmental disorders, we have been training
medical students and other healthcare professionals-in-training to interact
effectively with their patients who are nonverbal due to developmental
disorders.  In that process, we constantly observe the medical students
adopting a high pitched tone of voice and child-like manner of speech even
when the students are informed that their patients are normal or near normal
in cognitive ability.

  I'm interested in doing a series of studies, involving both voice analysis
and measurement of implicit attitudes using the Implicit Association Test,
to look at the degree to which healthcare professionals associate disability
with child-like characteristics and the degree to which this association
might be evidenced in their interactions with patients or prospective
patients who have disabilities.

  I'm sure there must be a literature out there on infantilization of
persons with disabilities in social interactions, but I haven't been able to
locate it using PsychInfo, Medline, or other databases (at least not with
the keywords I've been using).  Can anyone suggest a lead or two?

  Thanks much,
  Ken Robey
  Matheny Institute for Research in Developmental Disabilities