Alison,
I do not have specific knowledge of a history of respite -
however (if my memory serves me well enough) there was a
lot of material around the ideas and developments coming
out of what was happening in the latre seventies and early
eighties which was in Journals and information from
organisations like BILD, BRIDGES (formerly APMH and now
defunct)and VIA (then CMH). So there may be no alternative
to a slog through the archives and dusty shelves I am
afraid (but check the index to theses).
Jim
On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:31:19 +0100 Alison Cocks
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I wonder if anyone might be able to help me.  I'm trying to piece together
> a history of the development of respite (as opposed to full residential)
> care and provision for disbled children particulary in the UK.  Lots of
> people can tell me about the thinking behind respite and the change from
> residential - but i'm struggling to find any written info.   can anyone
> help me???
>
> Also for all you lucky folk going to the SDS conference in Chicago - Have a
> great time!!!
>
> Alison Cocks
> Alison Cocks
> PhD Student