These jobs (below) arise following DESTIN's award of £2.5 million by DFID
for a 'Development Research Centre', so we need help with teaching and
research. For the envt. & devt. post, discuss with me initially
([log in to unmask]). For the others, discuss with James Putzel, our
Director ([log in to unmask]). Note: we only do Masters-level teaching -
best have a look at the DESTIN website first.

Simon

Dr Simon Batterbury
Lecturer, Development Studies Institute (DESTIN)
LSE, Houghton St
London WC2A 2AE, UK
fax (+44) 020-7955-6844
telephone (+44) 020-7955-7771 (direct) 7425 (general office)
Web pages: http://www.lse.ac.uk/Depts/destin/simon/homepage/simon1.html
-------------------------------------

Three 1-Year Lectureships in 1) Development Studies,  2) Development
Management and 3) Environment and Development at the Development Studies
Institute, LSE (http://www.lse.ac.uk/depts/destin)

Lecturer A Scale

The Development Studies Institute (DESTIN) at the LSE wishes to appoint
three lecturers to participate in teaching on our MSc courses in Development
Studies, Development Management and Environment and Development. Applicants
should have a PhD (or evidence of near-completion) in an appropriate social
studies discipline and a proven record of scholarship and publication in
these fields. Candidates should have experience of research in the
developing world and be prepared to participate in a dynamic
interdisciplinary environment, to supervise MSc students, work with PhD
students in both tutorials and seminars and contribute to the research
activities of the Institute. These appointments are being made on a one-year
fixed term basis to expand our teaching and research capacity as we embark
on the inception phase of a new five-year research programme on "Responses
to Crisis and Breakdown in the Developing World", initially funded by the
Department for International Development. We encourage candidates with
definite plans for research who might be prepared to apply (with assistance
from the Institute) for external research funding for projects to be
undertaken after the end of the temporary lectureships.
The successful applicant is expected to start duties from 1 October 2000.

For further details please phone 0207-955-6183 or email
[log in to unmask] with your postal address.

Closing date for applications: 21 August 2000.
Likely interview dates: 31 August/1 September 2000
Please ask three referees to send letters immediately.

The London School of Economics and Political Science is committed to equal
opportunities and excellence in teaching and research.