as fas as I can ascertain respite in hospitals for disabled (learning
difficulties) children and adults first emerged in the very early 1950s, as
a way of enabling parents (mothers) to cope with illness, impending
pregnancies etc. It was adminsitered under the Local Authority Health
Committees as part of their roles under the Mental Deficiency Acts. The
examples I turned up (only a handful) were in Bedfordshire and
Buckinghamshire. It was not called respite at that date. I should look to
Victoria Shennan's 1980 History of Mencap for any information on when Mencap
began to demand, and supply, respite. Certainly in Bedfordshire tthey began
to take children on hoilday to a chalet on the east cost in the late 1950s,
giving parents time off, and the children a good time. A source for this
sort of information, other than Mencap older members, is the Yearbooks and
Annual Reports produced by local societies. But there is no central
repository for these
Jan