hope this question falls within the domain of this list--

I'm recording my participation in a networked classroom.  I provide technical support and am audio taping those interactions.  I am using a simple clip-on omnidirectional microphone, and am trying not to be too intrusive, although everyone has signed release forms.

My problem is that those I am recording tend to to come in significantly quieter than my own voice.  I keep the mic at waist level, with the record level set high.  My constant mobility makes it difficult to pull out a microphone and place it on the table between us.

I'm sure there is a methodological solution to this problem, and I can probably live with the recordings I am obtaining, but is there  a decent "stealth" microphone or other piece of gear that might improve the recorded volume of my subjects?

thank you very much,

MC