 Dear Becky,
>From what you are saying I'm assuming that we are mobing the
clavicle at the s/c joint?
If this is the case then:
often with shoulder problems the s/c joint becomes stiff.  If one
prescribes to the theory that any limitation of movement along
the biomechanical chain further stresses the subsequent
structures in that chain to provide more movement it is feasible
to do this for instance in glenohumeral impingment.  The clavicle
glides inferiorly and rotates posteriorly with abduction.  This
movement could be considered part of the scapula chain.  If it is
limited then more movement will be required from the glenohumeral
component of abduction, and thus the likelihood of impingement
increased.  Does this make sense?  I often check it in this
respect and mobe with an inferior glide while passively abducting
short of pain.  You'd be surprised at the improvements you
can obtain.
If you have any other questions just ask.
Scott Epsley
Physiotherapist
Brisbane, Australia.