Esteemed fellow members,

For an impending art project, might anyone either explain to me, or direct me to existing literature (in English or Spanish, if possible) explaining, the reason(s) that St. George appears to be among the most popular of saints in Ethiopian icon imagery?

In reading the book, "African Zion: the Sacred Art of Ethiopia" (by M. Heldman; Yale Univ Press, 1993), I note (on page 97) that, "Mary is accompanied by Saint George, her companion in iconic programs since the fifteenth century." But nothing, regrettably, tells me either why this is, or how it came to transpass at that time.

I recognize the geographic proximity to the scene of his spuriously dragony battle, but I wonder if there are other (historical?) reasons.

I notice some icons tend to group equestrian saints (i don't think i have observed this  in Western religious painting), but even so, oftimes St. George appears alone, or in diptychs with the Virgin and Child.

His relative prevalence leads me to suspect he has special appeal/meaning for Ethiopia.  What is it?

Many thanks in advance.

jmichael