<pre>

Please note that I'm a practicing Roman Catholic, not a witch... Well,except to
some of my students.  Let's say that psychology is like any system of belief or
opinion: to those who believe...
I'm unaware of Jungian "cults."  Jung himself was heterodox (to Christians) in
the extreme. His "devotion" was to the numinous (sp?), to spirituality per se.
What kooks do with his philosophy is not his doing. Remember Archangel Gabriel,
Elijah, John the Baptist, etc in Jerusalem waiting for the parousia at
the first midnight of 2000?
Didn't I mention "Memories, Dreams, Reflections" in my message? I'd also
recommend Erich Neuman's "History and Origins of Consciousness" and Jung's "Man
and his Symbols," written not so much by Jung as by a group of Jungian scholars.
And, no, I don't have stock in book companies that sell Jungian studies. In
fact, Princeton U Press is among the latter.

Best from here,
Kathryn

>So Jung is passe... The legions of Jungians will be surprised to hear that.

ah, the wife is always the last to know.

>The best I can do is suggest you read Frieda Fordham's brief but concise and
accurate "Introduction to Jungian Psychology" (Penguin Books, I think),
suggested - by the master himself - reading for those who pose questions such
as yours.

rather prefer to go to the Source, myself, stay away from secondary material
--even if recommended by the Master.  my New Testament is Red Letter, too;
seems like all that other stuff frequently gets in the way
of The Message.

the autobiography (_Memories, Dreams and Reflections_) seemed to me to be a
pretty good place to start the journey.  find out where he's comming from, as
twer.

A "Basileius of Cos," indeed.

not too shabby.

remarkable story, too.

>And please note that any study of the mind/soul is an art or a
philosophical system, not a science.

opinion noted.

>There is no proof whatsoever of any of this;

nor of anything else on this wretched plane, helas, only degrees of
probability, from -0 to 99%.

girding one's loins, keeping a good, sharpe edge on the swords of
discrimination and hoping for the best is about all one can do.  (well, a bit
o the ole unceasing prayer doesn't hurt, i suppose.)

>In fact, I could liken Jungian symbolic studies to [a?] religion: for those
who believe there is no need of proof; for those who do not believe,no proof
is possible.

yes, point well taken, and surely you'd agree that the Cultic aspects of
Jungian "symbolic studies" are the most distracting, depressing and,
ultimately, damaging features of Jungianism.

not au courant on the recent biographical contraversies, i'm not at all sure
to what extent The Master himself actually welcomed or encouraged
the growth of what has become His Cult, though he certainly actively
contributed to many activities expressly designed to propgate and develop his
ideas (Eranos conferences, etc.), just as he carried on quite a voluminous and
vastly varied correspondance with hundreds of people from all over the
planet.

just to return to the medieval for a moment, putting aside for the sake
of argument the question of actual "divinity", to what extent does the
historical appearance and cultic proliferation of an avatar such as Jung
parallel that of Jesus of Nazareth (keeping in mind that we are still
well within the first century, comparatively speaking)?

best to all from here,

christopher

Get free email and a permanent address at <a
href="http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1">http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1</a>

</pre>