Aaron Marcavitch wrote:

> The part I liked about it was that the guy was into
> mines, he wants to open one as a museum.  How many of
> those sorts of things are out there?  Just wondering,
> because an inkling of an idea for a thesis project
> just rolled across my  mind.
> Aaron
> www.aaronmarcavitch.com

There are a number of mines open as museums.  Poland and Germany have salt
mines. Natl. Geographic did an article on the Polish one a few years ago.
Arizona has a mine in Bisbee.
Scranton, Pa- Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour
Ashland, Pa- Museum of Anthracite Mining and Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine
St. Boniface, PA- Seldom Seen Inc., coal mine tour.
Tarentum, PA- Tour-Ed Mine and Museum
Beckley, WV- Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine
Pocahontas, VA- Pocahontas Exhibition Mine and Museum
East Granby, CT- Old New Gate Prison and Copper Mine
North Creek, NC- Gore Mt. Garnet Mine
Cornwall, PA- largest open pit mine in the East (nice lake!)

There are lots more.  AAA lists mines as a category in all of their tour books.

The Deutches Museum in Munich, Germany has a coal and iron mine recreation.