I'm posting the following details on behalf of the people at Mainz.
Please use the web address at the end to respond if you are
interested.

John

Two Ph.D. positions are available at the Graduate School of the Institut
fuer Geowissenschaften of Mainz University and the Max-Planck Institut fuer
Geochemie in Mainz, Germany

1. Fission-track studies in combination with structural field work in the
eastern and central Aegean.
This project will be carried out in close co-operation with Christopher
Johnson from
Imperial College London (UK).

This project seeks to establish the character and detailed timing of the
unroofing of the eastern Aegean. This objective will be met by:

o Using a well-designed fieldwork strategy in which sampling for vertical
and horizontal profiles will be collected in conjunction with establishing
a regional structural framework.

o The use of low-temperature geochronology (zircon and apatite fission
track analysis and possibly also U-Th/He dating on apatite).

o Application of two- and three-dimensional thermal history analysis using
innovative  modelling techniques.

On the regional scale, our fission-track study in the eastern Aegean aims
to fill the gap in the fission-track database between the well-studied
Menderes metamorphic belt in western Turkey and the Island of Crete, which
will help to work out the differences in cooling and exhumation in three
dimensions.

2. A field-based structural study of the Cine submassif of the Menderes
metamorphic belt in western Turkey.
This project will be carried out in close co-operation with Cees Passchier
from Mainz University and Talip Güngör from Izmir University.

The southern part (Cine submassif) of the Menderes metamorphic belt in
western Turkey is crucial for the unravelling of the exhumation history at
the boundary between the Aegean basin and the Turkish mainland. It is
widely accepted that the Miocene to recent exhumation of metamorphic rocks
in both regions were aided considerably by normal faulting. However, an
Eocene normal fault, the Selimiye shear zone, has been postulated from the
southern part of the Cine submassif. However, we believe that the Selimiye
shear zone is a thrust fault. The unravelling of the nature of the Selimiye
shear zone and its relationship to the regional structure of the Cine
submassif is the core of this project and will have widespread consequences
for the tectonic evolution and exhumation processes in the Aegean and
western Turkey.
        We like to emphasise that this project has a very strong field
component.

Further details regarding our Graduate School and a summary of all
available Ph.D. and Postdoc positions can be found under:
http://www.uni-mainz.de/FB/Geo/Geologie/GK/GK_projects.html