Hi Philip,

Since I am far from being an expert on options pricing, tell me how you deal
with the fact that since price vol goes to zero at maturity of the
underlying bond, yield vol will as well in BS. Thus using the spot yield of
the bond and the spot yield vol leaves you with the same problem (in my
view) as when you use prices. What I actually was saying is that using
forward price/yield and the respective forward vols allows you to correctly
price the extreme case of:

        1. Expiry of option = Maturity of underlying bond
        2. In that case, the bond price vol is zero at expiry
            (Unfortunately there is no corresponding yield, so the yield
approach doesn't seem to work)
        3. Using the spot price vol of the bond will definitely give you the
wrnog result since it states that the vol of the bond at expiry is non-zero,
whereas it is equal to zero.

I am glad you agree about the difference between share/FX option pricing on
one hand and interest rate option pricing on the other hand. It is
interesting to see that even in the simple case of hedging a basket of
forwards on FX or shares (Forwards with different expiry dates), you could
happilly just use the underlying in a spot hedge, i.e. just one instrument.
But this is not the case in a hedge of a basket of FRAs (again with
different expiries) on, say, US LIBOR. Here you need in general 2N bonds in
a spot hedge, where N is the number of different FRA forward periods.
Correlation and vol term structures become imensly important here.

Hope this makes sense,

Best regards,

Gilbert