Re diagnostic evidence levels.

I've been looking at the levels of evidence for diagnostic tests at the
CEBM site.

What about a test  which has never been studied as a diagnostic test in a
single paper BUT we know the prevalence of positive results in people with
and without the disorder from a different source? Example:. Total IgE in
asthma. There are good epidemiological data, so we   know the prevalence of
raised IgE in people with and without asthma and could construct a LR from
this. If the supporting studies are good and large, (but not a properly
conducted study of a diagnostic test with consecutive patients suspected of
having the disease etc), is the level of evidence high or low?

What do people think?