I think that Norman Vetter's comments raise some interesting questions whan
defining 'what works'.

The difficulty here is defining the outcome of interest. In oncology the use of
complementary therapies is high. Trials of 'traditional medicines' have focused
on 'hard' outcomes such as survival or more recently time to disease
progression. However there may be other outcomes which are important to
individual patients.

I think that you are correct that complentary medicines are often frowned upon
for a variety of reasons. There is a lack of high quality evidence regarding
their usage, which adds uncertainty to the question of benefit. However, many
patients choose to take such therapies. In my anecdotal experience, this
decision is not influenced greatly by an explicit discussion of the uncertainty
of the benefits and harms of complementary therapies.

We need better evidence regarding what 'works'. However I feel that patient
focused outcomes need to be considered so that we ask the right questions.

Peter Ellis

--
Peter Ellis MBBS FRACP MMed(Clin Epi)PhD
Research Fellow