Although I  feel we are bound to be shot down as hopelessly out of
date,  I support James Woodcock's views:

> I am serious about nationalisation. If the NHS is state owned then why not
> its major suppliers? The UK is the worlds second largest drugs manufacturer,
> giving a lot of scope for producing a lot of drugs. Research costs could be
> covered by sales abroad or agreements with other countries.

For insance,  unbounded "private enterprise" leads to the
production of vast numbers of "me too drugs"  touted on the
grounds of minor clinical advantages (and these from what I have
seen sometimes based on trials too small or too flawed to stand
critical appraisal).  So,  if the Green Pill Co. introduces an ACE
inhibitor,  costing 700 million pounds to develop and test,  the
Purple Potion Co will go out and spend 600 million pounds putting
its ACE inhibitor in the market.

In other words,  priavte enterprise results in the use of limited
resources (time,  expertise,  laboratories,  clinical trials) to produce
duplicate drugs.

I suggest that, say, three NSAIDS (a mild one available over the
counter,  a moderate one for general physicians,  a strong one for
supervised use by Rheumatologists)  would suffice for that class of
drugs:  how many are there in the latest BNF?

While such duplication may benefit sharholders and executive staff,
 I am not convinced it benefits patients,  especially those (speaking
globally if not nationally) whose illnesses are inadequately
profitable to attract a fair share of the scare development resources.

Maybe the answer is that drug companies should have to seek
licences before developing a new product,  and these would be with
held if they could not identify an unmet clinical need.

I suppose they would as usual find ways around this (such as
moving to  less regulated countries).

Once again,  I fear the mantra that "the free market is good"  will
triumph,  but just maybe in twenty years time,  researchers will be
writing well founded articles on how such a culture cost health
services billions and delayed the development of effective
treatments for some illnesses.

Regards Alan O'Rourke
Alan O'Rourke
Information Officer
Wisdom Centre for Network Learning
http://www.wisdom.org.uk/
Institute of General Practice
Community Sciences Centre
Northern General Hospital Sheffield S5 7AU
Tel:  0114 271 5095   Fax:  0114 243 3762
E-mail: [log in to unmask]