Both Ted Harding and Rod Jackson have denied the existence of a
'fundamental flaw' in statistics, and gone on to describe such a flaw
beautifully (or in Ted's case, longitudinally). I agree with Rod, that
statistics offer the best approaches we have at the moment (though
I am worried about the expression 'appropriately weighted', I expect
that would be used by some as an excuse for weighting with
prejudice which I am sure is not what Rod would want). I am not
saying that the flaw in statistics is fatal, merely a weakness. This
weakness leads to Ted's 'paradoxical dilemma', which I hope we
are all working to mitigate.

The problem is exactly as Ted described. Analyses are wide open
to different interpretation. Any technique is likely to be somewhat
ambiguous, but I think we need to get closer to answering
questions for individual patients before we can realise Lynda
Jackson's dream (can I paraphrase that as 'treating patients
according to their gene map, with supporting evidence' ?). The best
we could manage at the moment would be to apply statistical
analyses to results for similar patients. We would need to focus on
a very small sample of patients if we are really going to look at
(small groups of) genes. Using conventional statistics that would
lead to great difficulty achieving sufficient sample size to provide
reliable evidence - even if all the studies are properly designed,
executed and analysed !

We are far enough behind in amassing the evidence for the present
generation of medical technology. Do we really want commercial
interests to thrust unrealistic, unsupportable versions of Linda's
dream (i.e. lacking the evidence) at patients while more responsible
researchers cannot produce reliable evidence to refute
unreasonable claims ? I know history repeats itself but we should
also strive to learn from history, rather than sit back and let those
commercial interests _make sure_ history repeats itself.

In short, we are going to need better techniques for evaluating
evidence. The sooner we can develop them, the better.

Mike McDowall.

P.S. I am particularly glad that Ted's alternative model of the law on
drink driving is not used -
> 11 o'clock on a Saturday night in the town centre, with inebriated
> companions, and you get pushed up.
Many of us take turns to act as taxis for our friends (and what
about taxi drivers generally ?).