From: Judith Williamson
I have received the following from an artist friend in New York. She
pulled
a show (at considerable potential cost to her own career)from the
Museum
of
Modern Art there so as not to cross the picket line of striking staff.
She
has forwarded this strike bulletin to me with a petition - the museum
staff
hope to gain international support for their cause.

The struggle echoes many situations here, I think, for cultural
workers
in
arts and educational institutions. It would be good if you could sign
and
forward the petition. Thanks in advance,

Judith

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:34:51 EDT
>Subject: Museum of Modern Art Staff Union Petition
>
>Professional and Administrative Staff Association
>
>of The Museum of Modern Art – Local 2110 – UAW – AFL-CIO
>
>113 University Place, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10003 – (212) 387-
0220

>Fax (212) 228-0198 – E-mail: [log in to unmask] -
>
>http://local2110.home.igc.org
>

>Dear Friends and Colleagues,
>

>The Professional and Administrative Staff Association of The
Museum of

>Modern Art (PASTA-MoMA) has been on strike since April 28,
when its

>members voted 115-25 to reject the Museum’s final contract offer.
(For

>more information, go to http://local2110.home.igc.org.)
>

>We, the Museum’s curators, librarians, archivists, registrars,
>
>educators, editors, conservators, and administrative staff, are
asking

>for a fair contract. The Museum has failed to bargain in good faith
>
>since negotiations began in October 1999. The issues in
contention are

>basic ones, including a modest pay increase, the security of our
>
>healthcare coverage, and union rights. We are fighting to defend
our

>profession’s integrity.
>

>It is critical that MoMA’s management stop stalling and come
back to
the

>bargaining table so the strike can be resolved. Your support will
help

>make this possible. Please add your name to this list and forward
>
>artists, teachers, professors of art and art history, professionals of
>
>other museums and nonprofit institutions, and all who believe that
art

>is a vital part of society. Once compiled, the list will be sent to
>
>Glenn Lowry, Director; Agnes Gund, President; and the Trustees
of The

>Museum of Modern Art.
>

>INSTRUCTIONS: Please select the entirety of this letter and copy
it
into

>a new outgoing message (or hit Send Again). Address your
message to as

>many contacts as possible. The list is managed, so do not worry
about

>name duplication. Every fiftieth person who signs should forward a
copy

>to [log in to unmask]
>

> * * * *
>
>We, the undersigned, urge the Museum to negotiate in good faith
and
with

>due respect for its professional staff to settle a fair contract.
>

>Name, city, state, country
>
>1.  Joan Braderman, Northampton, MA. and NYC, NY, USA
>
>2.  Judith Williamson, London, UK
>
>3. Dr Mark Bould, High Wycombe, UK

4. Dr Mike Sanders, Northampton, UK

5. Dr Keith Halfacree, Swansea, UK