Tom Johnson has asked me to forward this to the list.
lawrence

AAG 2001 NYC - What geographers are not

This session seeks to explore the intersection of academic geographies and
popular culture (broadly conceived). In fact, it seeks to explore where this
intersection breaks down or does not exist.  It will seek to address not only
the ways in which geographers can, should, do contribute to the broader
society
(of which they might be a part) but also the ways in which contemporary
geographers understand and engage with the popular - or do not. Post
post-structural accounts of the instability of identities we seek to locate
where this instability eminates from and, more specifically, to identify those
parts of the unstable system that are not dynamic.  Moving beyond dangerous
and
unsatisfactory phenomenonlogical accounts of essences we seek to explore that
which the geographer always is not - the anti-essence. This is not a never
is but rather an always isn't. Even as the machine grinds certain fixtures do
not move with it - despite one day being a and another b, person x is
never, for
example, C.

Following recent reflexive calls this represents a first move towards making
sense of how enthusiastically and convincingly the academy is willing or
able to
understand or share popular knowledges about popular people, pastimes,
pursuits.
It is about how ideas move and why they move and where they move to. It is
about
the place of geography and geographers in all of this and whether or not this
throws up any tensions. At this point, we are seeking indications of interest
from anyone who feels they might have anything to offer and would appreciate
replies as soon as possible.  Specific themes might include the following:

* WHY does geography matter and to whom does it matter ?

* Is there stability in stasis ?

* Methodological implications of fixity and repression

* is geography inherently interesting and where does any interest lie ?

* If I am never that am i dynamic ??

Please contact either of the convenors for more info:

Tom Johnson: [log in to unmask]

Barry Collins:

Lawrence D. Berg, Ph.D.
Department of Geography
University of Victoria
PO Box 3050
Victoria, BC, Canada  V8W 3P5
Facsimile: (250) 721-6216, Telephone: (250) 592-2278
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://office.geog.uvic.ca/index.shtml
http://members.home.net/lawrencedberg/

Note new address after July 1, 2000: