Hello all, as a recent subscriber to this list I have been reading this
thread with interest. It was bought home particularly today, by the
tragic accident at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. A driver lost his
life and two marshals were seriously injured. The event was covered
medically by the BARC, who were there for the participants, Sussex
Ambulance who had paramedics mainly for the crowd, but also to transport
any seriously injured to the local hospital and the St Johns who were
also there for the crowd.

I arrived in the aftermath of the accident having just started my shift,
so I was not actually involved in dealing with any patients. But in the
debrief the paramedics themselves had after the event, it was clear that
there was a lot of medical ability there, but perhaps not the right sort
to be dealing with severe injuries in the pre-hospital field. The BARC
had lots of Dr's, there must of been about five per patient. The
paramedics felt that perhaps one per patient would have been better and
they could of got on with treating the patient with the Dr directing
operations. They also felt that perhaps rather than have lots of
anaesthetists and hospital based Dr's, there should have been basics
GP's who were used to dealing with that sort of trauma.

I  would be interested to hear the list's views, I realize that these
sort of events have to have a certain amount of medical cover, but I
sometimes think that just because the person has Dr before his name it
is automatically thought that he is the right person for the job, this
isn't always so.

Mark Parsons - Paramedic, Sussex