-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Darren Walter
Sent: 10 June 2000 22:09
To: INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Pre-Hosp RSI "over there"

>The problem is, one takes such things like this at face value. For example
- do I take what you have said to be true as I did the previous post I read
which said 3 to 4 times a month. So I am not to be questioned again on this
subject when I quote you; I should really ask you to support your claim
with evidence - after all this
is why we are here and you have already questioned anecdotal evidence from
a similar list.

I do honestly believe you - but you must appreciate the predicament you
have placed me in!<

The figures I gave are based on an internal review I did while flying with
them in 1997. I'm afraid that I no longer have a copy of this. Perhaps Tim
Coates or one of the HEMS Registrars who lurks on the list could confirm
the order of magnitude, if not the actual figures.

Sorry! No evidence except first hand anecdote. Work on 20-25% intubation
rate and 5-6% chest drainage rate ... for what it's worth. With regard to
the person actually DOING the intervention, again the impression was 50/50
between the paramedic and myself. The ratio depended on the confidence of
the doc and the paramedic, together with the circumstances!

Best wishes,

Darren