In message <[log in to unmask]>, Timothy J Coats (SURG)
7728 <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Simon - Congratulations on a clear exposition of some difficult
>concepts. We should stop teaching our students 'classic'
>presentations and stop looking for 'magic bullet' tests. Probability
>theory should be an important part of everyday undergraduate
>teaching - even though realisation of the amount of chance invoved
>in medicine may worry them!
>
>Tim. Coats

For departments with a high throughput, excessive cerebration about test
results introduces delay for patients and often results in indecision
from our inexperienced SHO's.

What today's busy clinician needs is a simple yes/no answer with minimum
fuss and maximum speed and an absent margin for error. Clearly, this is
not always achievable in every case. Certainly not with D-Dimers.

This over-reliance on blood tests at vast expense to the NHS and A/E
trolley time diminishes our standing as clinicians.

What you do not want is a checklist based system where there are twenty
items to check for each of up to twenty differential diagnoses, followed
by waiting for the results of multiple tests.

I think you will be hard pushed to beat old fashioned clinical
judgement.
--
Stephen Hughes