<pre>  I'd also like to point out Jung's fascination with stone.
"Memories, Dreams..." contains a fascinating account of the construction of the
tower at Bollingen and Jung's compulsion to scratch/carve the surfaces thereof
(174-75). Jung felt a distinct kinship between trees, architectural columns and
himself (68). Columns of churches shared in the numinosity of trees and that
numinosity was thus wrapped in stone. He speaks of the "absolute object" (352)
hidden within or behind sculptures. In his later years he painted or carved on
any blank wall he found. In this vein (sort of), in "Notre-Dame de Paris" V.
Hugo states that in the Middle Ages, whoever was born a poet became an
architect.

Kathryn Wildgen

In a message dated 6/23/00 3:53:59 PM GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> the autobiography (_Memories, Dreams and Reflections_) seemed to me to be a
>  pretty good place to start the journey.  find out where he's comming from,
as
>  twer.

I agree: I love his childish apprehension of trees being "the thoughts of
god", and his description of being _very_ drunk for the first time. "Modern
man in search of a soul" is also a good short intro. But for the readers of
this forum, probably "Psychology and Religion: West and East" (ISBN 0 7100
1641 7) contains the most thought-provoking papers (and the three anthologies
dealing with alchemy: "Psychology and Alchemy", "Alchemical Studies" and
"Mysterium Coniunctionis").

Henry Gough-Cooper.

visit the Scottish Place-Name Society website at
<a
href="http://www.st-and.ac.uk/institutes/sassi/spns/index.htm">http://www.st-an
ac.uk/institutes/sassi/spns/index.htm</a>

</pre>