Katy - congratulations. Our Ray Howell will be delighted to see the Trelech
material so nicely pulled together.

Can I draw list members' attention to this year's Penrhys pilgrimages?
These offer a way of visiting the holy well dedicated to the Virgin Mary at
Penrhys in the Rhondda, once one of the holiest places in south Wales. This
year, at least four groups will be walking there over the three days of the
Whit bank holiday weekend.

The main group will walk the traditional route we have reconstructed from
Llantarnam Abbey (near Cwmbran in Gwent), starting from the convent chapel
after a short service at 10 am on Saturday 27 May. This group will walk
over Mynydd Maen, through Risca, over Mynydd Machen and Mynydd Eglwysilan,
past St Gwynno's Well in Llanwynno and across the Rhondda Fach.

Another group will start from Brecon Cathedral, again after a short service
at 10 am on Saturday 27 May, and walk down the old Roman road, past the
waterfalls on the Hepste and Mellte, through Hirwaun and down the ridge to
Penrhys.

A third group starts from Llandaff Cathedral and St Teilo's Well after
Evensong on the Saturday and walks through Radyr, Llantrisant and Porth.

 The Catholic church in Aberkenfig are organising a group which will walk
from the west and it would also be possible to take a group from Margam,
past the well dedicated to St Mary there and  along the old pilgrimage
route through Llangynwyd, where one of my students is currently researching
a group of well cults.

The four groups hope to arrive in Penrhys at about 3.30 on the Monday
afternoon, 29 May. There will be a short service at the statue of the
Virgin Mary on the top of the slope, an opportunity for reflection at the
well and an ecumenical  service and tea in the estate church. Keen walkers
are welcome to join any of the groups for the full three days - the less
energetic could walk a few miles or join us at some point along the way or
at the end.

More information - maps, timings, ideas on accommodation - on request

Maddy Gray

Dr Madeleine Gray
Department of Humanities and Science
UWCN

'Reading is sometimes an ingenious device for avoiding thought'