Bobbie: A reference which you might consider is "The Handbook of
Psychotherapy Supervision" by Watkins. My quick answer ( I view myself
as espousing a mixed model of humanistic and CBT, as required by the
client and issue) is that supervision, like therapy moves toward
equality as the supervisee becomes more sophisticated in technique and
in self-knowledge. Ethical boundaries need to be established. That may
most efficiently be done by simply stating the established rules, or,
more slowly, through Socratic questioning. I view reference to
reflections of societal realities in the supervisory relationship as
distracting from what I view as important - the therapeutic operations
which the therapist is attempting to provide, (or trying to figure out
what to provide). I don't deny that there might be an equivalence or a
reflection - just that much consideration of that issue would seem to be
an investigation of political science or sociology - if that's what is
needed, go for it, but I don't see the tangible relationship of learning
by the therapist of his/her relaionship with this client. I fully expect
that others will have different views. I'm only responsible for me.
Geoff Crealock