 I am a psychologist with a particular interest in the relationship of the
stigma of certain labels to oppression within society toward that labelled
group and the effect of these on personality and social functioning.  My
area of expertise has developed around working with individuals with
standard IQ from the high sixties to low eighties, what in the US we call
"people with developmental disablities", or "people who are mentally
retarded".  I have found these people to have a great deal of shame
regarding their disability, and especially I have found a profound dislike
and avoidance of reference to the word/station of "mentally retarded".  My
research (as a student) was in the area of low IQ and its relation to the
propensity for personality disorder; in particular, Borderline Personality
Disorder.  I remain interested in how social labels perpetuate clinical
disorders and would appreciate any dialogue in this department.  I work in a
psychodynamic mode, my orientation is of a relational sort, influenced by
Self Psychology and Intersubjectivity in general.

JG in LA CA