 Thanks Steve ! I'll sure try to find that book here in Brazil.

 Regards,
       Pedro

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>saspinall
To: [log in to unmask]>PHYSIO
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2000 5:48 AM
Subject: Question on muscle tension and hypertrophy

Pedro,
         Simply put, with regards to the statement in your mail, I think its referring to muscle tension thats directly proportional to muscular hypertrophy. With a high velocity movement there is rapid crossbridge cycling and consequently less cross bridges attached at any one time and thus less tension in the muscle fibre. With a slower movement, there are more cross bridges attached and hence greater tension is developed. I think there are a number of experiments around that examined the relationships between amino acid uptake and muscular hypertrophy under various levels and durations of tension during different training protocols. It may be worth having a look at:

Brooks, G.A., Fahey, T.D. & White, T.P.(1996). Exercise Physiology. Human Bioenergetics and its Applications. Mayfield: USA.

Its an excellent book that gives a number of references you may wish to chase up.

Regards,

Steve Aspinall
2nd Year BSc Sport REhab Undergrad