I have no references Julia, only anecdotal personal experience and musings (?
reflective practise!!)

For me this issue comes at an extremely pertinent point in my career.  I have
just sat down to review notes on courses I have previously attended after
realising my knowledge and skills are not up to scratch.  What opened my eyes
was a four week stint in a private practise where it was obvious to me and my
employer that my skills were not as good as they could or, having been on the
courses I had on my CV, should be.

I believe that different people are motivated to improve their professional
knowledge and skills by many different factors, including some of the
following.

1)  Desire to achieve personal mastery of the profession
2)  Need to maintain a customer base
3)  Need to meet one's employees standards

Any factors which motivate people from a negative angle are probably not the
best for the individual, but may be the best for the employer.  Perhaps
employers would do better by using strategies which encourage staff to want
to be better for their own self-esteem, rather than threaten them with
negative consequences if they don't comply. Then Compulsory education
programmes would not be needed.

With reference to your posting, is it possible that 'the people who are
reluctant to take time away from treating patients to undertake CPD in the
workplace' feel they are being asked to treat their patients in less time to
comply with the demands of their employer.  Surely if they felt CPD met their
needs they would be less reluctant.  I think many people simply do not want
to put in the work necessary to improve their skills because they do not feel
the benefits of this work is to them, but to their employer.  This is because
the emphasis placed by their employer on the need for CPD is not the same
need which motivates them.

I hope this makes sense.  Could people write in an share what motivates them
in their professional development.

Stewart Harrison
Physiotherapist
UK