VirusThis virus is quite real. We were attacked this morning in droves from several sources. Info is hard to find as it is new but the Symantic web site does have some info if you can get there.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Patrick Nugent
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2000 12:23 PM
  Subject: Virus

  Dear Colleagues,

  I am usually deeply suspicious of warnings about "viruses" that come (the warnings, that is) unsolicited over e-mail.  most of them prove to be hoaxes.  We filter them through our Director of Computer Services here, and he usually informs us whether the warning is legitimate or not.  It rarely is.

  However, he sent the following communication to the College community today, and after reading the article on Yahoo that he referred to, I am convinced.  I share this with colleagues on the list in hopes that you will avoid damage; I apologise if such warnings offend you.

    This is a warning of a known virus.  It's spreading rapidly, but if you don't usually open attachments sent from unknown persons, you should be okay.

    The contaminated message in question has a topic of "ILOVEYOU" and includes an attachment.  Do not open the attachment. If you do so, the results are dire.

    Instead delete the message and the attachment as soon as you receive them.

    For further details see Yahoo.

    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20000504/tc/computer_love_bug_2.html

  Patrick J. Nugent
  Earlham College