Bill East wrote:

> --- "John B. Wickstrom" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > And of course
> today, it is rare to see the Baroque chasuble (known to
> > me as
> > a "Roman chasuable0; the Gothic has been all the rage since Vatican
> > II.
> > jw
>
> I was looking, the other week, at a very beautiful old Baroque chasuble
> in a second-hand shop in Walsingham.  Alas, a little beyond my means,
> it had beautiful embroidery and appliqué work on the back.  When people
> talk of how, in the bad old days, the priest used to stand "with his
> back to the people", they often forget that his back was a great deal
> prettier, and more interesting, than his face.
>
> Oriens.

Hi - I am a lurker - sounds rather ominous but I enjoy reading all the
knowledgeable posts - thank you for sharing.  I have been looking at
some of the embroidery/applique work worn on the back/front and sleeves
of priests - can I presume this work was done by women, with God's
help?  There is a silent wonder in this work.  The priest is there for
all to here and the women have also been there for all to see.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with lurkers

Blessings,
Sandy

http://www.bigfoot.com/~TheMuses