Bill East wrote:

> > I'm the Kantor at Our Lady of Walsingham Anglican Usage R.C. Church
> > here
> > in Houston, Texas.
>
> My dear chap:  you may very well be everything else you say, but you
> cannot possibly be a Kantor.  There is no such word.  Krockers will
> tell you so.
>
> We shall have a Karol singer on the list next!

Well - we also publish a weekly Kalendar in the Sunday leaflet - and
that sometimes gets similar comments from native Texans - but there it
is - Kalendar.

Now, I play the organ, and lead a small "choir", and print up all the
worship leaflets, and occasionally intone parts of the Mass or Office.
But I don't play that much "organ music" so I don't want to have the
title Organist. I don't stand up and wave my arms in front of people, so
I don't want the title Choir Director. Even though I put together the
music for most of the Liturgies I don't want to likened to other people
employed by R.C. churches in this diocese who have the title Music
Director. Our church has NEVER had someone standing in front of the
church to lead the congregation in singing, and never will, it is not
necessary. In this country those people started out being called Song
Leaders but then all the Liturgists decided that a more politically
correct title would be Cantor. So you can see why I want no part of
being a Cantor. I'm trying to follow the concept of either a Jewish
Synagogue Kantor or possibly the German example of J.S. Bach (even
though I rarely play any of his music). This may fly in the face of what
some scholars think is appropriate spelling, but after all, in this
country we are quite used to statements of position being made by subtle
twists of spelling or grammar. I'm pretty sure it happens elsewhere,
also. Thanks much for your input.

Does anyone know anything about the "processional churches" of the St.
John Order in England? Thanks again.

Stephen M. Collins
Our Lady of Walsingham Anglican Usage R.C. Church
Houston, Texas

BTW  I see you've been on pilgrimage to the Shrine of OLW in England -
many of our congregation have made the trip, including our Pastor in
conjunction with taking his daughter to entire the University of St.
Andrew's in Scotland last summer. I hope to make the trip someday
myself.