At 07:27 AM 5/23/00 -0400, you wrote:

Perhaps, but I just don't know - those seem to be covered by "paganus"
elsewhere in the Penitential. I was wondering if there was anything on the
continent like the sects (probably wrong word) described some years ago by
Richard Sharpe in Eriu  ("Hiberno-Latin laicus, Irish laech and the devil's
men"). I have come across nothing of the sort in the records for the
Rhineland at this period, but then I am really familiar only with pastoral
lit.
Bernadette