Tacitus in the Germania says: "It stands on record that armies already
wavering and on the point of collapse have been rallied by the women,
pleading heroically with their men, thrusting forward their bared bosoms,
and making them realize the immient prospect of enslavement--a fate which
the Germans fear more desperately for their women than for themselves."
(trans. H. Mattingly)

Phyllis