Francine:

Do you mean that the particular text you cite is considered a forgery, or
that the bull itself is thought never to have existed?  I've read the
argument for the latter, and haven't been very impressed.  John Watt makes
a good argument that the bull Laudabiliter was indeed issued in 1155.  It
seems hard to make sense of Henry II's church-reforming efforts when he got
to Ireland without it, or to understand the O Neill Remonstrance.  It is
also peculiar that the papacy has never disowned Laudabiliter, if it is
indeed a forgery.  I'd like to hear your take on the matter.

Phyllis

>> From: emrys [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>>
>> Does anyone know if the papal letter  "Laudabiliter" which is apparently
>> the one issued by, I think Hadrian  (Nicholas Breakspear) to Henry II
>> blessing the conquest of ireland, is online anywhere?
>>
>        The following site is mostly polemic, but the text of laudabiliter
>(which is generally thought to be a forgery) is cited at:
>
>        http://www.techplus.com/bkjv1611/bd0115.htm
>
>        Francine

Phyllis G. Jestice