On behalf of a colleague who is investigating this matter. Could replies
please be sent off list to me, I will summarise replies if requested.

At Knowsley we planned to introduce a book ordering facility - selling
books to the public, which would be ordered up from a wholesaler's
catalogue.

However, at the last hurdle, we have been advised by our legal
department that as this entails "trading" and as there is no specific
statutory power allowing to do so, we can't legally do it!!

As numerous libraries sell goods, including books - we wondered if this
legal issue had ever been raised before - and how we could get over it?

Many thanks

Eileen Hume

Eileen Hume
Local Studies and Archives Librarian