Hi Len
At Liverpool Hope we ran a learning to learn programme for first year psychology students and the results re: that programme (and another in the department of theology) are reported in a recent paper :Norton, L.S., Scantlebury, & Dickins, T.E. (1999). Helping undergraduates to become more effective learners: An evaluation of two learning interventions. Innovations in Education and Training International (IETI), 36,4, 273-284.
Best wishes
Lin
>>> [log in to unmask] 05/18/00 02:43PM >>>
Sorry to unterrupt that marking, but does anyone have recent experience of
the evaluation of modules or courses which attempt to develop students'
learning abilities (eg study skills, critical thinking faculties,
interpersonal skills, literacy, making the most of being in HE etc)?

After three years experience of delivering what we call 'developing
learning' modules here in Nottingham, we are undertaking an evaluation - and
I would be interested to compare notes
- I'm aware of some of the literature in this area - for example the ISL
symposium in 97 at Strathclyde carried some good papers about (for example)
learning-to-learn units (Katherine Cuthbert) - teaching communication skills
(Linda English) and learning support programmes (Barbara de la Harpe et al)
...... is anyone aware of recent material which has aimed at evaluating the
success of such programmes?

one of our early findings here (which probably takes nobody by surprise) is
that (a) students sometimes perceive such modules as a 'soft touch' and not
necessarily relevant to their core studies ... but that (b) with the right
commitment and integration into the core curriculum such mods. can work well
and really seem to help the students ................... we also find a wide
range of attitudes amongst staff who teach the students on OTHER modules (ie
those staff not directly engaged with the 'learning-to-learn' work) -
ranging from antagonism to full co-operation and integration into their own
modules

Len Hand
Nottingham Business School (UK)

Dr Lin Norton