-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Badgett [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 4:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SUMSearch

Scott,

Please forward this on to evidence-based-healthcare.

Thank you very much for your comments about SUMSearch.
1. SUMSearch is independent and has no sponsors. The link to the Merck manual exists because currently I can find no better source of easy-to-read broad discussions of topics from multiple disciplines. Today I noticed that old issues of Clinical Evidence may be searchable. If so, I will consider searching CE first, then go to the Merck if no hits occur at CE. The section of SUMSearch that returns broad discussions is currently the weakest section, yet very important as prior research suggests many clinicians prefer to read traditional review articles and textbooks rather than systematic reviews and original studies. In the future I hope to help these clinicians by linking to high quality 'systematic textbooks' rather than traditional textbooks.

2. Why not search the Cochrane?
a. Most importantly, DARE abstracts all the meta-analyses produced by the Cochrane (I am not aware of exceptions). Thus the DARE includes the Cochrane and much more.I will improve the labeling on SUMSearch to reflect this as this question has come up before.
b. Cochrane systematic reviews are of course wonderful, but the abstractions of the Cochrane reviews done by the DARE may be a bit easier to digest during hurried patient care.
c. Lastly, SUMSearch cannot easily search the Cochrane because that database requires subscriptions.

Bob