I have neither time nor knowledge of the original literature you cite, so I
can't comment on the specifics you describe below.  A few more general
comments:

"Evidence-based medicine" is not cost-effectiveness or cost reduction.  It
is not a cabal, or cult.  It is a set of principles applied to teaching and
practice that guide the selection of interventions for our patients.  The
guiding principles is that physicians should know the level of evidence that
supports a particular decision.  That doesn't mean you never do anything
unless it is supported by grade A/Level 1 evidence;  far from it.  That
would be unrealistic, given the state of the literature and body of studies
to support our practice.  What it means is that when given a choice between
two or more therapies, you should have a preference for those that are
proven to be effective in well-designed studies.  Evidence-based medicine is
not a research movement, except to the extent that education about
appropriate study design and common biases will hopefully lead to more,
better designed studies in the future (I think this is clearly happening
already).

At a policy level, the application of evidence-based principles is a
refreshing step forward.  Of course, just as in clinical practice, we
shouldn't apply these principles thoughtlessly or carelessly.  Also, EBM is
NOT  cost-effectiveness, although it is often mistaken as such by
policy-makers and payors.  The statement that "the level of evidence in
policy decisions is 0.50" betrays a poor understanding of statistics, if
nothing else.  This suggests that we should pay for therapies when there is
a 50% probability that the "benefit" was due to chance.

I think it is reasonable that the government or insurers shouldn't be asked
to pay for treatments or tests that have not been shown to be beneficial in
well-designed studies.  When there are no studies, we must rely on consensus
and expert opinion until studies are done.  The technological imperative in
this country ("don't just stand there, do something") means that we have a
hard time waiting for evidence, though.  Perhaps "don't just do something,
stand there" should be an acceptable alternative!  The 50,000 Americans dead
because we prematurely adopted the anti-arrhythmics encanide and flecanide
would agree.

Mark Ebell, MD, MS