Whilst knowledge of the core can be assumed, the assessment is by case study and the link from the case study to the question was tenuous to say the least. Whilst it contradicts the 'spirit' of case study assessment there is now the implication that all areas of the core module must be revisited & reviewed prior to any optional module exam.

Whilst the question may seem reasonable to experienced business studies teachers, you have to place yourself in the position of a 17 year old student who had received 1 hours instruction on a statistical process 18 months previously and on which 1/4 of a paper was later based. Good students were not tested, it was unfair.

I would be generous in saying the paper was 'naughty', colleagues have been far more scathing. I do believe students and centres deserve better - examinations are meant to be fair.

A Lloyd