At 09:30 19/05/00 +0100, Adrian wrote:
>On Thu, 18 May 2000 21:28:34 +0100 J Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
>wrote:
>
>> I have also seen the frightening effects playing with the Ouija board had
>> on one teenage boy!
>
>Natural selection in action?
>
>Yours
>
>Adrian

>Dr Adrian Bowyer                     |
>Senior Lecturer                      | e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Un (/super) natural selection, definitely!  Like something out of Star
Trek, and I would prefer not to witness anything like it again.  Up to that
point I considered 'medieval descriptions' of certain maladies to based on
lack of scientific knowledge... and would also have been just as
condescending about aspects of faith as some of the contributors to this list.

Incidentally, condescension is a form of aggression, and insinuations that
anyone with faith in a deity is lacking in intelligence or is unscientific
are at best mildly insulting.
To another correspondent:  I am of (distant) Jewish ancestry, and certainly
not neo-nazi, in case anyone wishes to class me as such.  I do not often
contribute to lists, but I'm a frequent 'lurker', and appreciate many of
the contributions here.  However, I was beginning to be rather irritated by
the attitude of some towards those of us who have faith in God.

I appreciate this is wandering off-topic, but feel I should have right of
reply.  I am happy to receive further correspondence privately.  (Thankyou
to Adrian for graciously pointing out *off-list* that I had misinterpreted
re his comments about *Congressional Members* being at the Hearing - not
just Staff.)

Thank you also to Peter Lloyd on this list -- I had not come across David
Hume's book, and I would be very interested to read it.

Best wishes,

Jenny Oliver  (BA Hons, LRSC, PhD pending...)
Website Editor,
The UK Semiochemistry Network
http://www.semiochemica.org.uk/